Random facts about the series.
1. Originally, the series started out as three books--a trilogy. Then it expanded to a whopping seven until I started writing book 2 and decided to combine it with book 3, which brought it to six total.
2. The title of the series comes from the name of the fantasy world, Ilyon, which contains five different countries.
3. Five different races of people populate these countries. Creating these races and their characteristics has been particularly fun.
4. The entire series covers a three year period of time.
5. I have two main characters, and two secondary main characters. My main guy, Jace, is a half-blooded human, and twenty-ish years old (he doesn't know for sure) at the beginning of the series. My main girl, Kyrin, is human and seventeen years old. The two secondary MCs are Jace's mentor and Kyrin's twin brother.
6. Jace is the character who sparked the entire series. He's very troubled and haunted by his past and mixed blood. He is the character who will have grown the most throughout the series. I've never connected with a character to the extent that I have with him. He has a very special place in my heart.
7. Music has played a vital role in the inspiration for the series. It has particularly helped with the creation process of Jace. I have a wide variety of songs on my playlist for the series, both orchestral music and songs with lyrics. Each of my main characters have a theme song, and I have several others for scenes. Jace has the most songs dedicated to him, the majority of them from Ashes Remain and Skillet. You can see my full playlist on my YouTube channel.
8. Inspiration for this series has come from a huge array of places. That’s part of what makes it so much fun. I never know when something else might come along and add even more to it. Here are just a few of the things that have sparked my imagination and given me inspiration for characters, plots, scenes, or just random little details: DragonQuest by Donita K. Paul, The Mentalist, a commercial for Unforgettable, The Hunger Games, Thor, Non-Stop Music, Future World Music, The Eagle, Gladiator, Unearthing Ancient Secrets: True Gladiator (Science Channel), The Errant King by Wayne Thomas Batson, and Robin Hood.